Bean Canyon NUCs Officially Launched

Intel has officially launched the Bean Canyon NUCs also known as Coffee Lake NUCs. It seems like we’ve been waiting for these to hit the shelves forever, but according to Simply NUC these should be available next month finally.

The specifications were pretty much known to us already:

• CPU depending on the model: Intel Core i3-8109U (dual-core), i5-8259U (quad-core) or i7-8559U (quad-core), all with hyperthreading and 28W TDP
  • Intel Iris Plus 655 GPU (GT3e), 48 EUs, 128MB eDRAM-cache, up to 1050 (i3/i5) or 1200 MHz (i7), HDMI 2.0a only via LSPCon
  • 2 slots for DDR4-2400 RAM, max. 32 GB
  • M.2 slot for 2240 and 2280 form factor cards, NVMe support
  • One HDMI 2.0a port and DisplayPort via Type-C
  • Four USB 3.1 Type-A ports
  • One USB 3.1 Type-C ports
  • Thunderbolt 3 via Type-C port
  • Gigabit LAN with I219V
  • Intel Wireless-AC 9560 wifi with Bluetooth 5.0
  • MicroSDXC slot

Full technical product specification document is available here.

What’s important here is that the cooling solution seems finally updated. The technical product specification shows a picture of a much larger fan which hopefully will be able to keep the these NUCs cool with less noise.

It’s a bit shame that the Coffee Lake CPUs do not support native HDMI 2.0a. It’s 2018 after all. The MegaChips MCDP2800-BCT LSPCon is used convert DisplayPort 1.2a signal to HDMI 2.0a with HDCP 2.2 support. This is the same solution we saw in the previous generation NUCs, so I guess we can expect that this time it’ll work fine. 🙂

18 Responses

1. Peter says:

The DP converter solution never worked fine, not for 3D MVC for sure. So, as not even native 1.4 this time, we can just say goodbye to 3D video playback with this NUC generation. Not what I’ve expected, and I will definitely skip these for sure. Time for Intel to get hurry up with their IGP development or just apply some GPU’s from AMD (even in their entry-level NUC versions).

• Olli says:

Thanks again for your comment Peter! To be fair, I think the industry seems to be saying goodbye to 3D video in general… I was recently on a market for an OLED TV and found out that none of them support 3D any more!

• Peter says:

As far as I am informed the latest APU Vegas still all support 3D MVC properly. So i’m still hopeful towards that at least they won’t dumb the hardware decoding support from any further IGP’s and GPU’s. It’s been developed perfectly and working for ages, needs no more to work on it, so why just do such a direct reduction by any means? Also hope that 3D will return to the TV industry, maybe not “tomorrow”, but again, why just cut-off entirely a such a technically improved and fun feature? 3D BD movies still are all around the place, and they still keep on coming. And irrespectively, many of us still have 3D TV’s and have choose them for a reason. As things stand i simply wouldn’t buy anything HTPC wise, that lacks the support for 3D MVC. And I hope I don’t have to do ever.

• Olli says:

But yes, agree – native HDMI 2.0a and more Radeon GPUs would be great!

2. rainymanyu says:

can this device be used as Hackintosh?

• NicoLeOca says:

I would be interested in it too. And i am optimistic.
      Only if not too noisy though, otherwise Zbox ci640

3. INTC says:

If you are going to review Bean Canyon, please test with Intel 24.20.100.6229 or whatever newer drivers Intel releases in the future.

4. D. says:

If you look at page 11 of TechProd-Spec (your link above) you will get the answer for 3D at “NOTES”:
    “HDMI 2.0a is enabled by LSPCON (DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0a protocol converter); Stereo 3D (S3D) technology is not supported.”
    Maybe next times with the next gen of CPUs supporting LSPCon-“without” and more HDR version, not only HDR10.
    Another point and informative link:

• Peter says:

As it is using the DP converter for 2.0 and has no native 1.4 HDMI, we already figured out that 3D MVC is not possible with this spec. Tho’ the tech spec doesn’t state anything concretely regarding that if the 3D MVC decoding and technology feature would have been cut-off completely from the IGP. My presumption is that if it would have a an 1.4 HDMI output, it would work well just like before.

5. Jeff says:

I am really struggling with Intel’s naming schemes. So just to make sure: “Bean Canon” is the code name just for this generation of NUCs and “Coffee Lake is the code name of the processors, correct?

• joshua rosenberg says:

Yup, bean canyon is real location as are all the code names for the nuc products. Coffee lake u series are the processors. They seem to choose canyon names appropriate for the device though. Hades and skull for their gaming nucs, and bean canyon possibly referring to a coffee bean reference due to the coffee lake cpu’s, or maybe whoever is in charge of naming the nucs for this generation is just a big fan of Mr Bean..

6. Lew Z says:

Considering that the cooling solution was holding back higher performance in all of the dual core 4×4″ NUCs when doing light gaming on the IGP, I’m hoping for big improvements with this upgraded fan/cooler. Double the cores and double the eDRAM/L4 cache will require seriously better cooling to deliver all the increased performance that these upgraded specs promise.

7. KaoMac says:

I need to replace my PC. I’m pretty sure I’ll go for a NUC instead of a PC. But I’m wondering. Sould I buy a 7th generation that will be on sale NUC7i7BNH 500€

• If performance is important to you, it would seem the new i5 variant would bring quad-core performance and better graphics. You can get the 7th gen i5 for around $340 US on Amazon. The 8th gen will probably launch close to $440 or so. If that extra performance is important to you, I’d go with the newer 8th gen when it’s out.

8. Lew Z says:

The functional difference between the NUC7i7 and NUC7i5 is very small in almost all use cases. In previous generations, the performance difference between i5s and i7s was much greater but not with the particular Kaby Lake chips Intel chose for the 7th Gen NUCs. I have both and money is better spent on the i5 + more RAM for the same cost.

Now, the 7i5 vs the 8th gen. The 8th Gen i5 & i7 NUCs will have quad cores but you won’t be getting 2x performance, though 1.5x overall is a reasonable expectation. Cooling in such a small case will be the limiting factor and if you do any light gaming, you won’t see a huge increase as the iGPU is only modestly improved.

Based on owning 6 NUCs now (all 4×4″ ones), I’d bet the quad core NUCs will be noticeably better for medium home/office use with the added grunt of 2 more cores, while mixing home/office with light gaming might find the 7i5 as the better deal if you can find it cheap. I got my 7i5 at $322US and I’ll wait for the 8i5 to approach that price before I bite.

9. SZQ says:

Hi. I’m new to these Intel NUCs.

I like the idea of having a tiny fully functioning multipurpose pc. It will be used for everything except gaming (htpc, office, programming, other general purpose).

Maybe a silly question but how do you plug external speakers into these? I have been researching a little and all these mini pcs and mini-stx motherboards seem to have no 3.5mm line-out or optical port on the rear IO. Only a headphone/mic socket on the front.

I would rather not have speakers permanently attached to the front. Are they relying on monitors/tv with audio via hdmi/dp? Seems strange.

Maybe i am missing something… Thanks 🙂