2019/2020 Intel NUC Roadmap Leaked

A member on the PCEVA forums has published of what seems a pretty credible roadmap for consumer Intel NUCs (well, the “Core” ones) for 2019/2020.

Here are some interesting points:

• Ghost Canyon (Hades Canyon successor) will have 6 and 8 core Coffee Lake Refresh CPUs (i7 and i9) with Intel GPU.
  • Ghost Canyon models will have a slot for an external GPU.
  • There will also be an i5 Ghost Canyon model.
  • Frost Canyon will be the successor for Bean Canyon. It has the 14nm Comet Lake-U architecture. Don’t expect big surprises there.
  • Islay Canyon will be a very similar model to Crimson Canyon (expect a review of the Crimson Canyon this week by the way), but with an i5 CPU.

Source: PCEVA via Videocardz

Those 8 core/16 thread CPUs in the Ghost Canyon will surely please some of the virtualization home labbers. Dropping the Radeon GPUs from Ghost Canyon could indicate that Intel is upping its game in the GPU area.

What do you think? Write your comments below!

11 Responses

1. John Evans says:

I’m a heavy Autodesk user (Revit, 3d Studio Max, NavisWorks, etc) and Adobe (Photoshop, InDesign, etc) alongside Office 365 Premium and NBS Create as our core software. I been using i9 CPUs, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD drives and Nvidia GTX graphics cards with 11GB VRAM for a while on desktop workstations and they fly. If Intel can replicate this on a NUC then its small format is a winner for me.,The current i7 NUCs are doing well in our conference rooms and on Admin staff desks, we’ve even taken them to client presentations instead of laptops, due to their small size and power, but how would Intel replicate my spec in a NUC and how would they keep such an i9 spec cooled if this spec could be done at all?

2. juhomaen82 says:

Was going to buy Hades Canyon for 90% productivity 10% gaming but this Ghost Canyon seems interesting. I’m not too excited about Intel UHD Graphics (surely it’s a huge step down from Radeon RX Vega M GL) but the included PCIe X16 slot means you can add your own discrete graphics card (something like a Vega 56 or RX580 if not an nVidia card). However, there are question marks for sure. What will the size of the chassis be if you fit your own GPU there? How’s a discrete GPU going to be powered if Ghost Canyon is 45W? What will the fan noise be like since the discrete GPU will not be something that Intel engineers have built in and optimised for the best cooling? What will the price be like? I’m hoping, since they are not working with AMD anymore, that they go down in price so that Ghost Canyon + GPU won’t cost over 1500 euros.

• Olli says:

There are indeed a lot of good questions there. Keep in mind that these early road maps might not be 100% accurate. We’ve seen Intel coming up with something else than the early leaked road maps indicated…

3. Olli says:

Something to keep in mind is that Intel has been teasing about an Intel GPU being released in 2020. https://www.anandtech.com/show/12964/intels-first-discrete-gpu-set-for-2020 We could be seeing this and the Ghost Canyon (to be released in 2020 as well) somehow being linked to each other, who knows?

4. American Voter says:

I’ve got a previous-generation Skull Canyon system (Skylake 4-core, 32 GB RAM, 1.5 TB SSD), that sits in a remote closet and is accessed via RDC. Why? Because the fans in that thing are annoyingly loud and the pitch of the sound is a HUGE irritant. I have a previous-generation NUC (DC53427HYE) that I keep on 7/24 in my office…running as a Pi-hole DNS server that is almost silent. Hopefully, Intel will address the sound pitch and volume issue with these new systems – otherwise I will pass.

5. Nucfan says:

Nuc with 64gb ram!

6. Craig Carnell says:

Where’s HDMI 2.1?

7. BlindWarriorSven says:

Seems like there will be no

8. andrej wuka says:

Does anyone know how I can install Windows 7 on NUC8i7HNK? I love this mini PC, but too many of my old PC games no longer work on win10. Thanks in advance gents