Finally An Update for Hades Canyon GPU Drivers

The Hades Canyon NUC debuted back in 2018 and it remains the most powerful NUC for gaming. This is because rather surprisingly Intel decided to equip these NUCs with a Kaby Lake-G GPU that was packaged with a fairly powerful Radeon RX Vega M GPU. Since that Intel has decided to kill off this line of CPUs and focus on their own Xe GPUs. This probably explains why there has not been too much driver updates for Hades Canyon lately. Previous driver from Intel was released back in January 2019, so that’s a bit of a gap there.

However, recently Intel has released a “driver update” on their Download Center website for the Hades Canyon. Of course Intel hasn’t actually released any driver here but instead they provide a direct link to AMD’s Radeon RX Vega 64 Drivers & Support page and tell you to install the driver provided by AMD. This is a U-turn from Intel’s earlier policy of providing an Intel-verified Radeon driver for the Hades Canyon. Some Hades Canyon owners have been installing AMD branded drivers for their GPUs before with varying success but now AMD lists the Radeon RX Vega M as officially supported.

Hades Canyon GPU Drivers

There should be both performance and stability improvements compared to the previous Intel-branded driver. I don’t have a Hades Canyon anymore at my disposal but if you do, it’d be great to hear about your experience with the new drivers in the comments section below!

14 Responses

1. JohnOrion says:

Well I’ve been using the Radeon drivers from AMD’s website for a year now with my HVK-variant of Hades Canyon. Started using them when I saw a comment on reddit about AMD including official support for Hades Canyon in the release notes for their latest Radeon driver. I’ve never had any issues with them or at least nothing that wasn’t appearing with other graphics cards. While me and some others have recommended these drivers to Hades Canyon owners, many have been hesitant to try them out, even with the knowledge that AMD had included Hades Canyon support in the release notes. I guess some people had issues with the installation process although it seems that in many of these cases the user hadn’t done it properly (uninstall current AMD driver preferably with an app that scans for letfovers, reboot, install new AMD drivers). I’m glad Intel is now officially supporting these drivers too so even those who thought the drivers from AMD’s website could be incompatible in some way have the peace of mind to try them out.

2. ind1g0 says:

My PassMark 3D score went up almost 1000 points when switching from the standard AMD drivers that came down from Windows Update after a fresh Windows install to the AMD provided driver!

3. JohnOrion says:

Just a heads-up. Went to install the newest Adrenalin drivers, 20.4.2, and the installer could not recognize my HVK-variant of Hades Canyon. Tried this several times with same results (obviously doing the same uninstall/reboot/install process I always do with new GPU drivers). Had no issues with 20.4.1 (which I’m using now). So it seems 20.4.2 does not support Hades Canyon. Hopefully this is just a bug and AMD will continue to include support for this NUC.

4. Jonathan Gayl says:

It didn’t recognize it because it didn’t include the RX Vega M in the.inf, Sounds deliberate to me as Ghost Canyon mand Quartz Canyon will be mostly NVidia GPUs.

5. Nks says:

Hades Canyon have been abandoned by Intel and now amd. It’s dead end, better sell them off while still might get something for it.

6. Ale L says:

The file I downloaded from AMD could not find a driver for my hades canyon GH graphic card. I am still stuck on what I think is a 2018 driver. How can I possibly upgrade to the latest one available now?

7. JohnOrion says:

As I’ve mentioned in this comment thread, all the drivers after Adrenalin 20.4.1 (from AMD’s site) are incompatible with Hades Canyon. However, do not despair. You can easily find 20.4.1 from the net (a site called guru3D should have them should you not find them from AMD’s site). Just google it if all else fails.

8. MichaelChou says:

As @JohnOrion had mentioned, drivers after 20.4.1 cannot be installed. And I stuck at this version for like 3 months now.

Until last week, Microsoft released GPU compute support for WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux), along with Intel/AMD/NVIDIA releasing preview drivers for this feature. The AMD preview driver is 20.20.01.05, and does not support Vega M as expected.

But I really wanted to try this feature, and decided try my crazy little idea I had for a while now: manually edit the driver files to some how enable this driver to be installed & used on Vega M.

At least two parts you need to edit: the display driver itself, and the hardware checking in the installer. These are the steps:

1. Run 20.4.1 & new version installers at least once, and the decompressed files will be under subfolders of each version in C:\AMD.
    2. Use your favorite code compare/diff tool to compare the following 3 files under the two driver folders: “Config/InstallManifest.json” and “C0356156.inf” & “U0356156.inf” in “Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF\”
    adding Vega M related parts from files of 20.4.1 to the files of the new version (search “694c” the Device ID for Vega M)
    3. Since you changed the driver files and broke the signature, you have to Advanced Restart Windows into a special mode and disable driver signature checking. In this mode, you can install this modified driver successfully, and restart your Windows into normal mode after.

I tried a few lightweight games it worked well. And I tried using DirectML (over DirectX 12) in Linux using WSL, it also works on Vega M!

If you update Windows to a new build, the AMD driver will be rollback to a signed version, and you have to reinstall your modified version after the upgrade.

This does not mean the modified driver works 100% or will work for future versions. Actually I highly recommend you staying on the officially supported version (20.4.1 currently) and not installing the modified driver, if not for a special need.

9. AJ says:

I have recently purchase the Intel NUC8I7HVK Core i7 Haydes Canyon, Samsung 500g SSD, Hyper X 16GB memory and updated all the drivers. I have been having lots of issues playing World of Warships. The game will play fine for a few minutes then crash with a message ‘could not load system resources, check and repair’. I contacted Wargaming and after sending them the crash log they confirmed it was the AMD graphics card that was failing and restarting. After multiple full uninstall and re installing all drivers and the game client, reducing every setting to the lowest possible setting it still hangs. I downgraded to the original 2018 driver and tried that also but I still had the issue. It has been a really disappointing purchase so far as I am away on long tours due to Covid 19 isolation. Actually wished I had read the above comment about them being abandoned.

10. Flombe says:

Michael’s system looked hard, so I decided I’d do something dumb instead. So! I used the Update Driver -> Have Disk -> browse to July 2020 c:\AMD extracted files (after a failed installation)\Packages\Drivers\WT6A_INF and picked the c INF from the list.
    Then, scrolled through the list of drivers and found Radeon Vega RX, which I figured was Close Enough.
    It has survived installation so far… hopefully, it’ll stick.

• Flombe says:

Ran Halo 2 straight afterwards, not exactly a 2020 tour de force, but it worked without obvious glitches.

11. Jonathan Gayl says:

Flombe-Worked for me too! Thank you!

12. Jonathan Gayl says:

Interestingly I think I tried that before with an earlier version. Maybe I picked the wrong Radeon or wrong inf.