Intel Launches NUC 11 Essential with Jasper Lake Celeron and Pentium CPUs
The Apollo Lake NUC 7 Essential that was released back in 2018 is getting a bit long in the teeth, so it’s about time Intel refreshes the Essential line of lower performance NUCs with the 10nm Jasper Lake-based Pentium and Celeron CPUs. The new NUC, codenamed Atlas Canyon, will be available with three different CPUs: the dual-core Celeron N4505, the quad-core Celeron N5105 and the quad-core Pentium N6005. All quad-core versions have a TDP of 15 watts whereas the dual-core Celeron is a 10W model.
You can compare the specifications on Intel’s web site here.
While the Essential line NUCs are not exactly powerhouses they still have their uses as miniature home servers, media PCs or thin clients. The more powerful versions can be used for lighter desktop use as well. It represents a step up from Raspberry Pis and in case you want or need x86 architecture an RPi is not an option anyhow.
- NUC11ATKC2: Dual-core Celeron N4505 (2.0 GHz, up to 2.9 GHz), UHD Graphics (450 MHz, up to 750 MHz) with 16 EUs, 10W TDP
- NUC11ATKC4: Quad-core Celeron N5105 (2.0 GHz, up to 2.9 GHz), UHD Graphics (450 MHz, up to 800 MHz) with 24 EUs, 15W TDP
- NUC11ATKPE: Quad-core Pentium N6005 (2.0 GHz, up to 3.3 GHz), UHD Graphics (450 MHz, up to 900 MHz) with 32 EUs, 15W TDP
- Dual-channel DDR4-2933 SODIMMs, max. 32GB RAM
- Slot for M.2 2280 SSD (NVME or SATA), PCIe 3.0 x4
- Gigabit Ethernet port
- 802.11ac WiFI with Intel Wireless-AC 9462, Bluetooth 5.0
- HDMI 2.0b port, DisplayPort 1.4 supporting two 4k displays
- 3.5mm audio output jack, 3.5mm microphone jack
- 2x USB 3.2 type-A ports in front, 2x USB 3.2 type-A ports in rear, 2x USB 2.0 ports in rear
- Dimensions: 135 x 115 x 36 mm
Few points seem to raise some eyebrows here: No 802.11ax WiFI or 2.5G Ethernet, the TDP of the quad-core CPUs is listed as 10W in Intel Ark under the CPU listing but 15W under the NUC listings, no mention of IR receiver.
In addition to the three variants mentioned above it is possible to buy the dual-core Celeron NUC 11 Essential with Windows 11 pre-installed on a 64 GB eMMC storage.